Home Remedies for Sore Throat
Sore throats can occur several times in a year for many people. Steroid medications as prednisone are recommended for sore throat only when their benefits outweigh the risks. For streptococcal sore throat, steroids are effective and essential. However, relying on steroids for all types of sore throat can do more harm than good.
Sore throat is the third most common reason for visits to general practitioners worldwide and about 40 million adults seek treatment for sore throat every year.
Home remedies can effectively bring relief to painful and irritating sore throat problems. With simple things used every day in your kitchen, you can ease pain and discomfort caused by sore throat. So what exactly are the symptoms of sore throat?
- Difficulty swallowing (Children may refuse to eat)
- Pain and itchy sensation
- Dry throat and talking difficulty
- Hoarse voice
- Red and Swollen tonsils
- White patches or pus on tonsils
Here are some effective home remedies for sore throat:
Home remedies for Sore Throat:
- Lemon and honey: Mix lemon juice and honey in equal quantities and take a teaspoon of the mixture.
- Mint leaf and ginger: Blend half of a cup of peppermint leaves with two tablespoons of coconut, few slices of ginger and salt. Take a spoonful.
- Turmeric milk: To a glass of warm milk add ½ tsp. of turmeric and 2 balls of crushed pepper. Add any sweetener as honey or sugar. Take the drink when it is warm and do not allow it to cool. It is effective remedy for both sore throat and cough. This soothing elixir is an Ayurvedic remedy for sore throat.
- Gargle with baking soda: Mix a teaspoon of baking soda and in warm water and gargle few times. Gargle twice a day.
- Gargle with salt: Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle. Do it twice a day.
- For more effective results: Mix half of a teaspoon of salt and half of a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and gargle.
- Gargle with Listerine mouthwash: One of the commonly available products on your bathroom shelf is Listerine mouthwash. Transfer some into a cup and gargle. Do not pour straight from the bottle into your mouth as others in your household risk the chance of infection.
- Hot coffee with herbs: In a pan bring some water to boil. Add 5-6 crushed peppercorns, few holy basil leaves and a small piece of dried ginger. Boil for 4-5 minutes. Add coffee powder (not instant coffee powder) as desired and sweeten it with sugar or palm sugar. Palm sugar tastes well. Take small sips for fast relief from sore throat.
Do not forget to try home remedies for sore throat next time you suffer from a bad sore throat. If you are still having the problem of sore throat, fix the appointment with the doctor.