Natural Remedies for Fibroids
Fibroids are connective tissue growths that are commonly found in the walls of the uterus. These growths are benign and can grow in clusters or as a single tumor within the uterine wall. Fibroids can be categorized into:
- Intramural fibroids- These grow within the uterine wall and develop inward
- Subserosal fibroids- These are positioned underneath the mucosal surface and are very large
- Submucosal fibroids- These types of fibroids are situated beneath the muscle of the endometriumCervical fibroids- These are located within the cervix
There is a wide consensus among health care providers that hormonal factors, mainly estrogen, play an important role in the growth of fibroids. It is worth noting that women that suffer from fibroids may not know that that they suffer from fibroids as most fibroids produce no symptoms that are easily recognized.
However, one symptom is the occurrence of heavy periods also known as menorrhagia. Menstrual cycles that are prolonged or characterized by excessive bleeding are known as heavy periods. A prolonged period means bleeding for more than 8-10 days. Another common symptom is feeling pressure on the bladder and rectum causing frequent urination and constipation respectively. This is caused by the size of the fibroid that may push against the rectum or bladder. Other common symptoms are increased waist size or weight gain as well as lower abdominal pain.
Weight gain can be associated with fibroids because excessive bleeding, one of the key symptoms of fibroids, may cause one to become anemic. This causes one to eat more in order to regain the amount of iron lost during the bleeding. Another reason weight gain can be attributed to fibroids is due to the fact that fibroids may directly or indirectly induce emotional states of irritability or depression. Many women tend to eat more when in these states and in turn gain a lot of weight. If one experiences any of these symptoms is recommended that they visit their health care provider or gynecologist for a thorough examination and diagnosis.
Natural remedies for fibroids- The fibroid diet
Natural remedies aimed at the treatment of fibroids work by either shrinking or eliminating fibroids. They are very popular as they have little or no side effects.
- First natural remedy for the treatment of fibroids is the consumption of a mixture of two teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. The mixture should be taken 3-4 times a day to reduce the size of fibroids. The mixture is proven to promote healthy glandular functions due to its alkaline nature. When taken regularly the problems caused by fibroids can be sufficiently eliminated.
- Another natural remedy includes the chewing of 5 crushed garlic cloves. This should be followed by a glass of water to rid one of the taste left by the garlic. This remedy requires daily consumption. Garlic is a great source of anti-oxidants that promote the balance of female hormones, one of the major causes of fibroid growth. Eating raw onions or a teaspoon of flaxseed also work to reduce the size of fibroids.
- Another mixture one can drink is two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. The mixture works also works to promote healthy glandular functions therefore balancing hormones.
- A mixture of a teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder mixed with a teaspoon of honey can be ingested daily to eliminate or shrink the size of fibroids. The paste should be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach in order to receive maximum benefits from the mixture. It is considered one of the most effective natural remedies for fibroids and has been known to shrink fibroids in as little as two months.
It is worth noting that one should eat a diet that is has very little fat content like lean meats. In addition increasing one's intake of fresh fruits, whole grains, vegetables, pulses and cereals make a supportive diet that may reduce the chances of increasing the size of fibroids. Soybean in particular is useful in the reduction of the size of fibroids as well as the possibility of the growth of fibroids in women who do not already suffer from the condition. In addition, one should keep the body hydrated during the day and should consume approximately 10 glasses of water.